San Marco d'Alunzio
Tourist information Tel +39 0941 797339
and here's how to get to San Marco d'Alunzio from our Bed & Breakfast of Course:
San Marco D'Alunzio is primarily a city of art, rich in history and works of inestimable value. Its establishment would be attributable to the period between the end of the Bronze Age and early Iron Age.
In the fourth century. B.C. Alontion already Hellenized, issued bronze coins with the inscription in Greek characters and possess nuclei armed militia. The Alontion Greek, became Haluntium with the Romans and decumana city, forced to pay a tribute of wheat, barley, oil and wine produced in its territory;
at the time of Augustus, it was equipped with an aqueduct and a wall structure in isodoma to protect the city which could be accessed through four city gates.
Demenna became with the Byzantines, experienced a period of splendor and prosperity, both culturally and religiously and valuable are the frescoes of great value in the many churches that arose in this period.
The Arabs, stopped several times, finally succeeded in conquering Demenna building a mosque near the matrix. With the Arabs, agriculture had a beneficial influence because they were improved irrigation systems, was introduced the cultivation of mulberry and cotton were increased and businesses.
In 1061 the Normans occupied the territory and renamed San Marco and Roberto Guiscard built a big castle well fortified and defended at the foot of which developed the village.
Ruins of the Norman Castle: built by Robert Guiscard from 1061 on the ruins of an ancient castle on top of the existing Monte Rotondo, in a strategic position overlooking the Tyrrhenian coast from Cefalù to Capo d'Orlando to the Aeolian Islands. Well defended and fortified, it became the residence of the Altavilla, particularly Adelasia, regent and mother of Roger II, as evidenced even today many scrolls. The recent restoration of the walls of the castle, together with the recovery of the square and adjacent streets, have emerged as a must for tourists.
Port of San Antonio has a round arch with concrete side red marble San Marco, it was one of the four entrances to the medieval town.
The Temple of Hercules: the greek temple of Hercules was built in the fourth century. B.C. and is a huge testimony of the classical age, thanks to the good state of preservation. Most likely used for sporting activities linked to the cult of Hercules, it was in Doric style, rectangular with porch on the front, structure "in antis" and side walls ending in two doors which rose up between two columns. Its construction, structure isodoma, is rectangular blocks of tufa stone, a type of spongy travertine extracted, probably, from a cave in this valley of Rosemary. In early 1600, the portal was enriched with friezes and marble decorations of the Baroque style; Today there is a cell, a sacred area reserved for priests, originally placed inside a large area sacrificial and transformed by the Normans in the Christian church dedicated to St. Mark the Evangelist, he held the role of Matrix until the sixteenth century. The restoration of 1969 have allowed this ancient Doric temple of continuing to live in defiance of the centuries.
The necropolis: date from the period between the end of the fourth century. to. C. and the beginning of the second and occupy two large areas of the country. Exploring a corner of the cemetery before, they were excavated in the years 1978/79, 47 graves dating IV-II century. to. C. all oriented NS, and one of them was found a musical instrument strings, the trigonon, while in another, dating from the third century. to. C., for the first time in Sicily, was found a tool playful, the Kottabos currently preserved in the Museum of Culture and Fine Arts Byzantine and Norman.
Brazilian Museum: ethno-anthropological museum, with its collection of minerals, fossils and other artifacts from Brazil presents itself as the only one of its kind in southern Italy this.
Parochial museum of Sacred Art: houses about 300 pieces from the Churches Aluntine which coats of arms carved on the local marble, wooden statues, paintings, tapestries, votive shrines and jealousies of great value dating back to centuries. XV - XVI - XVII and XVIII. The room dedicated to the precious 'Argenti Liturgical Aluntini', with the numerous reliquaries, tabernacles, chalices and other liturgical objects made by skilled craftsmen Sicilians, guards the treasure of the many churches in the area aluntino.
Byzantine Museum: Museum of Culture and Fine Arts Byzantine and Norman, is housed at the former Benedictine Monastery, built in the sixteenth century on a church of the Byzantine-Norman age and inhabited by nuns until 1866. It includes today three large halls, three rooms and services for more than 700 square meters. of surface area. Unique type in Sicily, has an architectural structure of great interest, articulated into three sections: Archaeology, Fine arts Byzantine-Norman and Middle Ages in the Nebrodi. Visitors will also have the opportunity to virtually visit the Byzantine and Christian Museum in Athens, thanks to the two multimedia stations built with the community "Raphael" in transnational cooperation with the National Museum of Byzantine Athens and the Institute of Byzantine Studies and neoellenici University of Vienna. In the area around the museum and the church of St. Theodore it was found some tanks from the Hellenistic period and a Hellenistic-Roman mosaic floor.