churches SAN MARCO D'ALUNZIO the crypt mummies
In this ancient country from its 548 meters overlooking the Tyrrhenian coast from Cefalu to Capo d'Orlando and to the Aeolian islands, the stones of red marble St. Mark, tell us the story of the peoples and civilizations that have occurred .
SAN MARCO D'ALUNZIO, an ancient village in the province of Messina, twenty-two churches, four museums, four libraries and a greek temple of the fourth century BC dedicated to Hercules, they can give a great cultural and tourist interest.
built around the twelfth century., after the expulsion of the Saracens from S. Marco, at the behest of a Jew he converted to Catholicism, was destined to the Greek nation. Small to the foundation, it was renovated and enlarged in 1494 and in 1630. The structure, in three naves divided by columns of red marble of S. Marco, has a vaulted ceiling and a real magnificent baroque portal, also made of local marble. There are several chapels including that of the right transept where, among cherubs, angels and marble statues, of Serpotta school, houses a miraculous wooden crucifix by Mastro Simioni Livolsi, sculptor Tusa whose procession, established in 1612, is He repeated again on the last Friday of March with the ancient ritual.
Church of San Basilio
ancient church whose original construction dates back to the medieval period, later rebuilt. Recent renovations have uncovered Byzantine frescoes of great value that, after the restoration, have been included in the circuit museografico the Museum of Culture and Fine Arts Byzantine and Norman.
Church of Madre
built between 1584 and 1800, from its churchyard overlooking the medieval quarter of San Marco D'Alunzio. Inside, red marble San Marco, has 12 side chapels architectural line sixteenth, rich paintings, wooden statues and works of the Baroque period. Precious architectural heritage guarded: the main altar has a marble shrine of the late Renaissance decorated with angels, the organ of 1700 with the choir in gilded wood, the marble baptismal font red San Marco, the paintings of the eighteenth century. depicting The Last Supper and the SS. Trinity, the painting in 1655 from G. Tomasi depicting the Madonna del Rosario, two Renaissance statues in white Carrara marble and two seventeenth-century wooden statues depicting the patron saints Mark and Nicola, a red marble sarcophagus Archpriest J. Lanza Filingeri .
Church of San Teodoro
built between the thirteenth and ninth sec., contains an interesting artistic heritage. The church, built in the Greek cross, was part of a Benedictine monastery; the first arm of the cross is a Greek floor paved that allowed the nuns to participate in religious services through wooden shutters recently renovated.
Church of San Giuseppe
built in the sixteenth century., admirable baroque portal that has two Corinthian capitals, standing on a square from which you can admire the Tyrrhenian coast. Since 1996, it houses the Parish Museum of Sacred Art, of considerable artistic importance.
Church of S. Maria delle Grazie
originally chapel of the Counts Filingeri that erected at the beginning of the fifteenth century. Dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie, home to two sarcophagi, one of 1616 in red marble from San Marco, like the tomb of Frederick II present in the Cathedral of Palermo, it holds the remains of Peter Filingeri, the other in white Carrara marble of 1481, It holds the remains of Marco Scipione and Vincenzo Filingeri, the two 'magnificent fratres' sons of Count Richard. The chapel of the church consists of a large arch in white marble finely carved in bas-relief on the altar is a statue of the Virgin, also in white marble, of the Gagini school.
in restoration or open only one day a year:
Church of Quattro Santi Dottori
Church of Madonna Annunziata
(incorporated in the Byzantine Museum) sec. XI have been brought to light two of the three apses of the eleventh century. decorated with splendid Byzantine frescoes; very well preserved the apse with the right in the basin a Madonna delicate hands and, in the end below, separated by a clear line that symbolizes the separation between heaven and earth, the Four Doctors of the Orthodox Church: St. John Chrysostom, St. Gregory of Nazianzus, St. Basil the Great and St. Attanasio set against an intense blue background.
built on the ruins of a pagan temple, it is situated at the entrance of the village, like to watch over the area. Over the centuries it has undergone several transformations of which the Byzantine frescoes discovered under the plaster shall keep a record. Inside you can admire a fine statue of the Virgin in white Carrara marble of the fifteenth century.
Church of Santissimo Salvatore:
Church of San Salvatore:
built around the twelfth century. on a base of a Roman temple dedicated to Augustus probably, it presents a sober seventeenth-century marble facade. The interior has three naves separated by slender limestone columns and surmounted by capitals that recall the Lombard-Romanesque style. Imposing bell tower that is located next door, built in 1571.
built between the XVII and XVIII century is adjacent to the Benedictine Monastery of the Great Abbey (founded by Queen Margaret of Navarre and dependent on the Abbot of Santa Maria di Maniace); It is one of the most popular downtown aluntino. Monumental and well preserved the front of 1713 which consists of a rich composition of local marble, two round columns and two twisted resting on pedestals embellished with coats of arms and surmounted by composite capitals supporting a pediment in which there is a niche which houses the statue of St. Benedict. The interior, with rich stucco, ornaments and decorations of Serpotta school, has a single nave with real-time and home to fine wooden furnishings, including the tabernacle of the High Altar in gilded wood, designed by Don Corrado Oddo in 1704. Interesting structure of jealousy Choir and value the many frescoes including "The Apotheosis of St. Benedict" Faro Brusca of the eighteenth century. and the reasons of sculptures by Don Corrado Oddo. Superbly crafted, the endonarthex with wooden shutters of 1716; The church also houses the imposing bust of Queen Margaret of Navarre.
Church of Crasile sec. XI-XVII
Church of S. Giovanni sec. XVI:
ancient church in Byzantine-Norman style exposes a considerable lapidary.
Church of Jesus and Mary, built in the seventeenth century on the ruins of the church of Santa Caterina. The place where they worshiped the souls in Purgatory.
built in 1550, it belonged to the prestigious Confraternity of SS. Sacramento (robe and white cloak). Recently, during the work of recovery of the historical center, they have come to light Byzantine tombs.
Church of St. Mary of the Poor: the ancient foundation, already existed in 1178. The marble portal in the Baroque style, overlooking a square paved with river stones and offers a wide panorama that sweeps from the Tyrrhenian Sea in the west to Capo Zafferano. In 1178 it was built adjoining the Campanile. Occupied by the Brotherhood of the Monks of Maniace he was later abandoned and then return to the center of worship after an event called miraculous.
Church of S. Antonio:
Ruderi della CHIESA Normanna del S. Salvatore
built on a pagan temple, worthy of note is the seventeenth-century marble facade decorated with ornaments, decorations, coats of arms, columns and capitals surmounted by a triple broken pediment at the center of which there is a niche which houses the marble statue of St. Antonio Abate.
built in the twelfth century. Greek cross is decorated with geometric designs. The elegant marble portal aluntino is embellished with columns, angels and cherubs. Fine columns inside with stone capitals decorated with Byzantine motifs in palm and elegant looks the cloth that comes down from the wooden canopy over the tabernacle of the main altar in gilded wood, designed by Don Corrado Oddo in 1704. Wreaths, allegorical figures, scrolls, cherubs playing along with angels playing trumpets, together with the wealth of stucco decorations, ornaments and decorations of Serpotta school decorate the interior in a joyful representation for the eyes and for the soul.
Convent of the Capuchin Friars or Villa Pacis sec. XVI dedicated to Santa Maria degli Angeli, is embellished by a beautiful altar. It is the only monastery that has not been the impact of the time, guarding inside the remains of Father Joseph Tortorici, the "Father Master", who died in 1886 in the odor of sanctity.