Tourist Information Office Tel 0941 959037
and here's how to get to Frazzano from our Bed & Breakfast del Corso:
According to tradition, the town was founded in the ninth century. A.D. by people who escaped in front of the Arabs.
The Mother Church of SS. Annunziata (XVIII c.)
In the central square of the village is this beautiful church which has a beautiful baroque façade pilasters and enriched by an elegant portal, flanked by spiral columns and niches with statues.According to an old tradition was built, in 1117, at the behest of Queen Adelasia, mother of Ruggero II, who had to leave Jerusalem because repudiated by King Baldwin I and survived a scary wreck that forced her to land on the beach of Cape Agatirsio Today Capo d'Orlando, built for this church and dedicated it to Our vote.
The church was expanded between 1570 and il1716, under the reign of King Vittorio Amedeo of Savoy.The report, completed in 1716 by the sculptor Thomas Shield of Palermo, is a beautiful baroque simple. The facade, decorated with marble aluntino, has three portals, the central one wider is bordered by two twisted columns.The interior, divided into three naves by monumental columns, is characterized by the presence of elegant stucco frames.Of particular admiration is the majestic altar, the baroque work of mirtese Filadelfio Allò. Eight meters high and finely carved wood, was covered by the Palermo Sciuga with thin sheets of gold, dated 1756.
The church of S. Lorenzo
the place where the church stands today, was at the time of the Greeks, the church of St. Nicholas of Bari, whose bells according to legend blew themselves festively the birth of the Patron Saint San Lorenzo, which occurred around 1120. It has a very simple façade, whose only relief is a portal with two twisted columns on each side and sculptural decoration with floral motifs, cherubs and scrolls. Inside is a fine wooden statue of the Saint (1620).
The church, begun in 1555 after the collapse of the primitive located in the old quarter San Lorenzo, was extended around 1699. For the construction of the bell tower, which occurred in 1623, it was used the stone castle of the Saracens of Belmonte. The report, completed in 1714, is baroque with four twisted columns of local marble, resting on capitals similar to those of the Mother Church.
The interior is divided into three naves.
In the central nave you can admire the majestic altar which houses the venerated relics of St. Lawrence and the carved, in the Monastery of Fragalà, from Palermo Antonio Pellegrino. The housing wooden altar, decorated in gold and dated 1681, rises to a height of 6.65 m. Of great importance is the vara, Baroque, the Patron Saint Lorenzo, carved in 1689 by mirtese Philadelphus Allò and covered with thin sheets of gold from Palermo Domenico di Giovanni.
CConvent of S. Filippo di Fragalà:
The abbey is located about 2 km. From the village, was built by Count Roger and his wife Adelasia in 1090, and was an important center of culture and research hagiographic. Today the monastery no longer hosts the friars. Its rich library, which kept precious volumes and that after 1866 it was moved in the archive status of Palermo. This monastery also has the unique privilege of having hosted, for part of its route, S. Lorenzo Confessor.
It may want to stop and observe the abbey from the outside, when you are in: you note the three apses in the Arab-Norman style, articulated by brick pilasters, and the octagonal drum which is located at the cross of the transept. The church is T-shaped and inside, particularly in the central, there are traces of Byzantine frescoes. Next they visit the rooms of the monastery.
La Chiesa Madre dedicata all'Annunziata, che domina la piazza centrale
La Chiesa di S. Lorenzo, nel luogo dove oggi sorge la chiesa, si trovava ai tempi dei Greci, la chiesa di San Nicolò di Bari.
fu fatto costruire nel 1090, e fu centro importante di culture
planimetria del Monastero di Fragalà.